Updated: Sep 20, 2020
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Servings : 4
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 medium carrots, diced
* One can diced green beans
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* One 15oz can tomato soup (or diced tomatoes if you prefer)
* 1 cup dried split red lentils
* 1 quart beef or vegetable stock
* 1 bunch kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
1. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil. Saute the green beans and carrots over medium-high heat until soft and beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Add all the spices and stir. Cook one minute more. Stir in the tomatoes (or soup can), scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook until the liquid has reduced, 5 minutes.
2. Add the lentils and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until the lentils are soft, 10 minutes. Fold in the kale and cook until wilted, but still vibrant, 10 more minutes. Taste for seasoning.
3. Serve the soup in bowls with a wedge of lemon on the side or a dollop of Greek yogurt.
* Original recipe adapted from Feed Me Phoebe